Tokenized Jack Dorsey Tweet Sells for $2.9M, Funds From NFT Auction Will Be Sent to Charity
On Monday, Jack Dorsey the founder of Twitter and Square witnessed a digital certificate or non-fungible token (NFT) of his first tweet being sold for $2.9 million. The new owner of the NFT Jack Dorsey tweet is the CEO of Bridge Oracle, Sina Estavi, who outbid the founder of Tron Justin Sun for the tokenized tweet.
- The non-fungible token (NFT) asset hype has grown immensely and on Monday, March 22, 2021, Jack Dorsey’s tokenized tweet from March 21, 2006, was sold for $2.9 million in ether. Bitcoin.com reported on the tokenized 2006 Dorsey tweet during the first week of March when bids were up to $1.5 million for the tweet.
- Jack Dorsey’s first tweet was tokenized by an application called Valuables, which is operated by a company named Cent. The Web3 compatible website v.cent.co leverages the Matic blockchain for the tokenization process.
- The final bid from the Bridge Oracle CEO Sina Estavi was for $2,915,835 or a touch over 1,630 ETH. The project Bridge Oracle is an oracle system built on the Tron network.
- Tron founder Justin Sun has also been trying to bid on the tweet and his last bid for Jack Dorsey’s first tweet was for $2 million or 1,304 ether.
- Twitter founder Jack Dorsey plans to donate the $2.9 million in ETH to a charity called Givedirectly, after transferring the ether into bitcoin (BTC).
- “Ending this March 21st [we] will immediately convert proceeds to bitcoin. And send to Givedirectly Africa Response,” Dorsey said on March 9, 2021.
- The tokenized tweet sale also follows the recently heightened criticism aimed at permanence vulnerability issues when it comes to long-term non-fungible token (NFT) asset storage. The debate has grown thick, as tokenized tweets similar to Jack Dorsey’s recent tokenized tweet, have been deleted and NFT images have been replaced.
- The NFT hype continues to swell as Monty Python’s John Cleese is selling an iPad drawing of the Brooklyn Bridge on Opensea, and Swedish musician and artist Jonas Quant announced launching an NFT called Dreamfng.
What do you think about Jack Dorsey’s tokenized tweet selling for $2.9 million? Let us know what you think about this subject in the comments section below.
Go to Source
Author: Jamie Redman